Understanding Domestic Violence
The common perception is that domestic violence is limited to physical abuse—black eyes, broken bones, beatings. Yes, those actions all constitute domestic violence or abuse. But that’s often just the tip of the iceberg. Domestic violence is about power and control, and perpetrators customarily engage in a systematic pattern of behavior. Here are some questions to ask if you believe you, or someone you love, is the victim of domestic abuse or violence:
Control and Humiliation
Does the perpetrator:
- Criticize, humiliate, or yell at you in public or private?
- Deny you access to money?
- Not allow you to use the phone, car,television, internet or computer?
- Tell you what to wear?
- Act like the abuse is no big deal, it’s your fault, or even deny doing it?
- Take your money or Social Security check, make you ask for money or refuse to give you money?
Does the abuser:
- Threaten to kill you?
- Follow you around or send you threatening emails?
- Constantly check on you at home or work?
- Blame you for all the problems in the household?
- Threaten to hurt your children?
- Threaten to call DYFS, or INS on you?
- Threaten to commit suicide?
- Threaten to harm family pets?
Isolating You from Others
Are there attempts to :
- Discourage or forbid you to see or speak with family and friends?
- Keep you from seeing your children?
- Lock you in or out of the apartment/house?
- Tell you who you can hang out with?
- Control what you do?
- Grab you?
- Pinch you?
- Hold or shove you?
- Choke you?
- Slap, punch, or kick you?
- Throw objects at you?
- Hit, slap, punch, or kick your children?
- Force you to have sex?
Contact the Law Offices of Kelly Berton Rocco
To schedule a free, 30 minute telephone consultation to discuss your concerns, send us an e-mail or call our office at 201-343-0078. All calls and e-mails are returned within 24 hours. We’ll be at your side every step of the way.
At the Law Offices of Kelly Berton Rocco, we have focused our practice exclusively on family law and divorce since 1993. We are located in Hackensack and serve Bergen County, Passaic County & Essex County as well as the cities of Ridgewood, Paramus, Oradell, GlenRock, Wyckoff, Allendale, Ho-Ho-Kus, River Edge, Franklin Lakes, Saddle River & Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.